Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I realized today that I need to win the lottery

I graduated from a Tier One college. My husband graduated from a highly respected school with a very difficult major. We both have jobs in the field of our degrees. We have 401Ks. We own a home. And yet, I feel like we're broke.

Now don't get me wrong. We have 401Ks and we own a home, so clearly we're not destitute. And I've been known to spend an afternoon blowing some of my hard-earned money at the mall.

But by no means are we comfortable. We keep track of every dollar that we spend, and some months, we rack up the credit card debt faster than we can pay it down.

We did everything right. We graduated near the tops of our classes in high school so we could get into good colleges. We graduated college (despite my best efforts to fail French class) with degrees in subjects that there are actually jobs in, unlike my friends with degrees in English or Psychology -- have fun with grad school, guys. We got jobs at respectable companies, and we work (relatively) hard.

So when is it supposed to get easier?? I look at the home that my parents own (and even the one they owned 25 years ago), and can't imagine how we are ever going to be able to afford something like that.

The bottom line is, I need to win the lottery. I mean, I'm not asking for a lot, just a few million would be plenty. Please?

No comments:

Post a Comment